Wednesday 4 December 2013

Winter Pairs Round 4

4th of 7 rounds of the Winter Pairs tonight, and I think we've firmly established ourselves as not candidates to win it - our average score so far is just above average, and we'll need some spectacular showings in the new year to get our top 4 scores anywhere near 60%. Danny and Anna meanwhile, already have two scores in excess of 65% and one 55+ to their name, and they've only played in three rounds. If I were a betting man, I'd have money on them for the title... 

Not a great deal to report. We did a few silly things, were unlucky on a few. The first board was a defensive problem - not sure I should have got it right, but I'm glad I at least thought about the winning line.


I lead the ♦A from the South hand against 4♥, and had to decide which black suit to switch to. Partner's card should probably be suit preference in this situation - Norman played the ♦6, and I eventually decided to switch to a small club. I considered the idea of switching to a small spade and giving Norman a ruff when in with the ♥K (declarer clearly has entries to take the finesse, so I expect to get in with it), but decided that it was more likely we needed to set up a club trick. Wrong this time, but as I say, I'm not sure I could have gotten it right (East opened a weak 2♥ and West bid 4♥).

♠♥♦♣


There were some more fun boards... the auction on this one went 2♥ 5NT - 6♦ AP, which is an excellent contract, although 6NT makes double dummy (in practice, I think you have to choose between playing West for Kx or KTx in clubs, which are pretty much equally likely, I think, although maybe they're more likely to cover with one or other of the two combinations? (probably Kx)). 6♦ is a much better spot, although still not great- it needs the ♣ finesse and either minor to split. and I don't mind the auction too much. As Norman said afterwards, when else is he going to get the chance to jump to 5NT?
♠♥♦♣
Our first board against Danny and Anna raised an ethical question for Danny. I'm pretty sure I should have called the director, but didn't. I should probably start doing that... 


I opened a strong NT. Anna thought for a good while before passing, and Danny came back in with 2♣ showing majors, and they bid the cold 2♠. Without the hesitation, I think I'm always coming in, but I'm not sure I'd feel I was allowed to with the UI. Anyway, as I said, we didn't call the director, so if 1NT is any better (and I think I should make at least 6 tricks), it's my own fault we got a bad result on this one - although it's possible Anna had already won the board by deciding not to bid 3♦.

No more bridge scheduled until a match next Wednesday, and then a whole weekend in Peebles (I'm probably playing the Friday afternoon as well, so that's 6 sessions over the course of the weekend). Finishing the year with a bridge-related bang.

2 comments:

  1. I think most players would show the majors with Danny's hand, but id certainly recommend calling the director in these situations.

    See you at Peebles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On reflection, I think you're right. I'd definitely bid without the hesitation, however, I might consider passing with it - I'm probably overly cautious in going out of my way to avoid using UI.

    Part of the reason for not calling the director is the way most players treat it as an accusation. To be fair, I'm pretty sure Danny and Anna wouldn't, so that gives me even less excuse.

    As I said though, I think Anna had already beaten the field when she didn't bid 3D (although the field will have bid it over an Acol 1H).

    ReplyDelete